Click here for a sketch of the main street (Cork Street)
Court House - St Mark's Church
The original Court House in Cork Street was built in 1875. Additions were made in 1878 and in 1882 a corner was rebuilt. The Court House was in use until 1934 and became St Mark's Church in 1941. The building has a National Trust Classification.
The Presbyterian Church was built in 1864 and stands on a large block at the junction of Lot and Cork Streets. It is a rough stone structure with external render and a galvanized iron roof.
The first school in Gundaroo was established in the church until the school building was completed the following year. The church continued in use until about 1952 when the lack of a congregation caused it to fall into disuse and it subsequently fell into a state of sad disrepair.
However, work on the building in recent years has improved its condition significantly and it is again in regular use as a place of worship and as a resource for the community.
St Joseph's Church
This stone church built in 1881 is in a prominent position on the central hill of the village at the junction of Harp and Morning Streets. Its construction was funded through the efforts of Mrs Charlotte Massy and Mr P J B Donnelly. The structure is in good condition and the building is a major Gundaroo landmark.
At the end of Lot Street is the Village Common. It is one of very few surviving in Australia and is still run by the villagers as a common grazing ground.
Within the Common, on its southern side, is the Cemetery which was dedicated in 1868. It contains the graves of many old Gundaroo personalities, most prominent being the Affleck family who as village benefactors built the old Presbyterian Church, the Royal Hotel and the Caledonian Store.
For maps and details of this and other local cemeteries please visit the Genealogy Pages.
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel (now a restaurant) was Gundaroo's first hotel and is situated on the western side of Cork Street north of Harp Street. It is a prominent single-storey structure with attics and has stone stables at the rear. It was built by William Affleck in 1865 and was shortly afterwards taken over by Thomas Booth who remained the publican until his death in 1883. The building has a National Trust Classification.
The Elite Skating Rink / Soldiers' Memorial Hall
The Elite Skating Rink was built in 1890 and received its name from the roller-skating craze of the era. The building is of timber weather-boards and galvanized iron and it situated 100 metres north of the Royal Hotel on the western side of Cork Street. It continues to be in regular use for meetings and social occasions.
Some additional information on the history of the Hall may by be found here: Hall history
Clemenger's Cottage (also referred to as Daisy's Cottage or Mrs Davis' Store) is adjacent to the Gundaroo Hall and is a brick-fronted masonry cottage with a small verandah once owned by William Ralph Clemenger. The cottage houses the Post Office and General Store.
The Old Post Office
The building is timber slab with lathe and plaster external and internal finish and dates from 1890.
It is now a café.
A memorial to William Ralph Clemenger is at the north-eastern corner of the junction of Cork and Harp Streets.
The inscription reads as follows:
This monument was erected by voluntary subscription to perpetuate the memory of
William Ralph Clemenger who worked unselfishly for the benefit of the town &
district for 35 years. Died 23rd Feb 1918.
'Write him as one who loved his fellow men.'
Aged 53 years.
The War Memorial 1914-1919
The War Memorial is at the south-eastern corner of the junction of Cork and Harp Streets.
It is inscribed to the memory of R. Grindley, E. G. Ireland, O. Elliott,
Sgt T. Erenshaw, Cpl J. Erenshaw, Cpl M. G. Will, J. J. Reid,
J. W. Cheeseman, J. Keir, W. J. Kershaw, R. C. Heazlett,
M. R. Bush, W. J. Affleck, W. A. Wilson, A. Webster,
G. W. Reid, A. J. Frost, J. A. Reid and J. Clemenger.
The Memorial was unveiled on Saturday 6 November 1920 by Mr. J. F. Heazlett, the licensee of the Royal Hotel for 14 years, who was leaving Gundaroo.
Four additional plaques were attached to the War Memorial in 2007 recording the names of local people who served in times of war. The list of names on the plaques can be found here.
The Gundaroo Library and Literary Institute
A dressed weather-board cottage on the eastern side of Cork Street opposite the Caledonia Store, it was built in 1888. It was donated by William Affleck in 1897 to the village Mutual Improvement Society (which he himself founded) for a Library. It has recently been restored by the trustees.
The Commercial Bank / Old Bakery
A brick structure next to the Commercial Hotel built in 1868 as the third Caledonia Store ( the previous two having been demolished). It was later used as a bank by the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney from 1890 to 1893. The verandah has been bricked in and there are a number of outhouses and extensions at the back.
The Commercial Hotel and Star Wine Saloon
Gundaroo's second hotel was the long brick and weather-board building with verandahs front and back next to the Commercial Bank. It was opened in 1872 by Noah Cheesman and later changed its licence to a colonial wine licence to become the Star Wine Saloon. It is presently a beer and wine bar and was operated by Mr and Mrs Crowe until 1996, having been in the Crowe family since 1897. Mr (Matt) Crowe died in May 1997 at the age of 92. After Matt's death it was looked after by Bill Heffernan (by his own admission one of the most famous - or notorious - winekeepers in NSW!) until the building was sold to a local group.
The Public School - Lot Street
The original building is a simple brick and A-frame structure with a weather-board enclosed verandah. It was built in 1898. The school had mixed fortunes over the years. In the 1960s enrolment was down to 10 and it was struggling to stay open. In more recent times it has boomed and in 1997 had 79 children and three teachers.
For more information on the School visit the School Page
This cottage was originally Dyball's Boarding House and was built in 1882. It is situated on the eastern side of Cork Street opposite the Caledonia Store. It has been restored in recent years to an attractive addition to the main street. Next door is a new and second-hand book shop (Brolga Books and Art)
The Original Police Station, Stable and Lock-up
The weather-board cottage opposite the Wine Bar was the police station until it closed in the 1930s.
Behind the house is the original lock-up which dates from 1857. It is a weatherboard box with a small semicircular opening in the door so that the policeman could see if his prisoner, usually put in for drunkenness, was sobering up, and pass in food. The lock-up received National Trust Recorded Listing status in 1974 and is now a small exhibition area for pottery and photography.
Behind the lock-up is the stable which is a large brick and stone barn with some fine stone-work. It is presently the home of the Cork Street Café.
Sally Paskins' Store
This slab hut with brick chimney is between St Mark's Church and the Gundaroo Store and was built in 1886. Sarah ('Sally') Paskins was a interesting figure who kept a cockatoo on the counter in the shop. She died in 1892 and the shop was taken over by William Affleck. The building is in very good condition, the shingle roof having been covered with iron at some time.
The Gundaroo Store
Adjacent to Sally Paskins' Store, this building was originally called the Gundaroo Arcade. It was built by Thomas Coleman in 1893 and has a small brick cottage attached on the northern side.
The Caledonia Store
This is the fourth Caledonia Store; the first was in Upper Gundaroo, the second a slab hut in Cork Street, and the third which is now the Old Bakery. This building is a handsome two-storey verandahed structure built in 1880 by William Affleck. The semicircular window over the main entrance is complemented by paired windows with rounded tops and flanked by slender mock pillars on either side. The store has extensions at the back of about the same age. The single storey extensions on either side were added later. The building has a National Trust Classification.
A fine residence built in 1889 next door to the Caledonia Store. It was built by Jeremiah Leahy, a butcher, from bricks dug out and baked on the allotment.
The sketch of the main street and the drawings of the Post Office and Library are reproduced by kind permission of Mr Ted Deveson.
The pictures of Wonga Cottage, the Commercial Bank, the Cemetery Cross and the War Memorial are copyright Graeme Challinor.
The other drawings on this and other pages are reproduced by kind permission of Mr Ronald Revitt.
Back to the Gundaroo Home Page
Send comments or queries to
P.O. Gundaroo, NSW 2620
Ph 02 62368166